The crispness of fall is in the air and that means cold winter temperatures are just around the corner. Many times, we wait for something to completely breakdown before we replace it. This is true with gas boilers. The problem with that is that it will happen at the worst possible time, like the coldest day of the year. Plus, you are not expecting it and chances are you don’t have the money on hand to fix it. It’s never fun to spend a bunch of money to replace a damaged boiler when it could have been prevented. Regular maintenance is the best way to avoid this situation.
Signs You Need a New Boiler
1. Boiler Age. With proper maintenance, condensing boilers should last for at least 15 years or longer. Cast iron boilers should be replaced after 20 to 30 years of operation While these boilers can last up to 50 years with maintenance, they are far less efficient than newer ones. The price you’ll pay for a new one will pay for itself in a year or two with the energy savings you’ll get.
2. Increased Energy Boiler Costs. If you notice an energy bill that is on the rise, it may be due to your boiler. Not just the age of it but the cost of boiler maintenance also needs to be looked at. Consider replacing it to save money.
3. Increased Boiler Failures. Pretty straight forward. The more calls you’re putting into servicing your boiler, the closer it is to breaking down completely.
4. Yellow Flame on Gas Boiler Burners. You will know that your boiler is no longer working properly if you notice yellow flames on gas burners and black soot on oil burners. This is also a dangerous situation because it’s creating carbon monoxide.
5. Leaking Boiler. If your boiler starts to leak and needs to have water added to it more and more often, it is nearing the end of its lifespan. Replacing your boiler at this time will also prevent flooding that can cause costly damage.
6. Indoor Discomfort. If you have rooms in your home that are too cold or too hot, or temperatures don’t stay consistent, it’s a sign that the boiler and its controls are not as effective as they used to be.
7. Boiler Making Loud Noise. Boilers do make noise, but a loud humming noise indicates a possible problem that needs to be addressed.
Gas Boiler Services & More in Cambridge, St. Francis, Oak Grove, North Branch & Greater Isanti, Minnesota
If the boiler in your home is working, you don’t think too much about it. How do you know if your gas boiler is operating efficiently? Annual maintenance and an assessment of your system will ensure efficient operation. Even if your boiler isn’t showing any of signs of trouble, there are still good reasons to replace it. Planning to replace your boiler rather than waiting for it to break down when it’s freezing cold outside is a much better situation to be in. Choosing a new boiler for your home is an important decision. Give North Country Aire a call today!